DevOps Engineer OnPrem Cloud Infrastructure
You will be working in a team that is divided over Noord-Brabant and Germany.
The biggest part of the team is located in Noord-Brabant, what would be your main location.
The team works in a DevOps mentality, but also has close connections to its internal customers in a community style.
All the support is done remotely, but occasionally it’s necessary to travel to Germany.
Purpose of the function
- Our on-premise cloud infrastructure – several environments based on OpenStack and Ceph, SUSE and Red Hat based – provide around 70.000 virtual cores to internal customers and have got an instance turnaround of far more than a million VMs per month.
- The 24/7 operation is performed by an external service provider, but the solutions are built and maintained in-house. You would be supporting the solution build team with new solutions, solution upgrades, solution extensions, automation improvements and analysis.
- Interaction with internal customers for 3rd level support or troubleshooting in tricky cases will also be part of your job. Besides core OpenStack and Ceph you’ll work with Git based CI/CD chains, Ansible, Prometheus, Containers and Kubernetes/OpenShift
- The core activities are;
- Create and extend the OpenStack solutions
- Support of OpenStack solution build and 3rd level support
- Support operations team and provider in automation and also analysis of incidents and problems
- Create and perform tests of new components, settings, concepts
- Proactive evaluation and testing of new features / parameter settings
- Support of solutions and operation team in terms of technical consulting
Knowledge and experience
Higher vocational education (HBO)
> 5 years Linux; installation, configuration,administration, automation and troubleshooting
> 2 years OpenStack; installation, configuration, administration, and troubleshooting
- English : Very good on a professional level, both written and spoken
- German : Able to understand written and spoken communication
What do we expect from you
- Passion about your trade
- Ability to self-organize and work independently with minimal supervision
- Experience working on a large OpenStack deployment (>50 physical compute nodes, >5,000 cores)
- Be a collaborative social team player
- Think out of the box
- Ability to dive deeply into technical topics
- Ability to explain highly technical solutions in “normal” language to customers
- Ability to translate customer needs to maintainable, re-usable scripts
- Good documentation and communication skills, both within the group and to (internal) customers.
- Experience working in an agile DevOps environment
What knowledge do we expect from you:
- Generic Linux (OS tools, configuration, kernel)
- Generic Linux virtualization (Tools, KVM, QEMU, libvirt)
- Generic OpenStack (keystone, neutron, glance, cinder, nova, horizon)
- Storage technologies (Ceph & object storage)
- Network technologies (vlan, trunking)
- Scripting (bash)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) or Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
- Troubleshooting and analysis (logfiles, tcpdump, kernel dumps, …)
- State-of-the-art development concepts and tools (e. g. git, CI-CD)
- Scripting (Python)
- Configuration management and automation tools (especially Ansible)
- Container and management technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift)
- Monitoring and reporting systems (Prometheus, Grafana)
- Public Cloud (AWS, Azure)